Thursday 26 September 2013

Foul breath, foul words, foul taste in my mouth…

By Khomotso Mphahlele



The thing about profanity is that it seems so easy and cool when you speak with your pals who of course also share the same sentiments. And from my experience, you’d have to have your mind conditioned in such a manner that just about every thing you see, hear or say has a vulgar connotation to it. I remember my first experience with profanity, I was an “appie” in the mines, and while at the training center workshop, the work shop instructor seemed to think that in order for us to remember these equipments, tools, and machines and their functions, he had to relate them to sexual vulgar bits, and so it went. He gave me a task to machine a tool, on a “wanking machine”. Of course I pulled a face, a dumb face to be exact because I was standing there thinking “what in the world is a wanking machine?” he was referring to a milling machine.

And since then my vocabulary changed. I could eloquently cuss and swear in English and Afrikaans whilst making what is supposed to be a polite conversation, hoarsing around without a care in the world. It got worse to a point where I simply could not sound intelligent unless I was cussing.

Then it hit me one day. I went home, Ga-Mphahlele. See, having worked in the industries that I have and still is, it’s safe to say that I spent 90% of my time speaking English, so much that most of my dreams are in English. That’s just sad really. So while at home in the village, I found myself battling to communicate with anyone ka Sepedi because, well, I forgot how. I’m so conditioned to speaking sekgowa so much that I even dream ka sekgowa. That’s when realized as well that in order for me to say a sentence in Sepedi, I need to think it in English, and then translate it to Sepedi. This is where the problem started.


“I f#$@ng love this dish, it’s so f#$@ng awesome”.

First of all, I was raised in house hold where I would never even dare say “voetsek” to anyone. So cussing was a hell no! You’d literally be chased out of the house to sleep with herd in the kraal. And yet here I am, unable to piece a decent sentence together and sound like the good child mama raised. See, I know that if my mama heard me speak like that, using that sort of a language, she not only going to kick me out of the house, she’ll smack the foul taste out of my mouth first. And I know that for most of us black people, this household sounds very familiar. Christianity had nothing to do with it. It was just simple Afrikan traditions, principles and values instilled in us.

So the question I’m asking is, Why do we seem to be so comfortable with the kind of foul language we use? Why is it that we think just because we say it in English then that makes it easier on our conscience to cuss and get away with it?

Sepedi proverb “Rutang bana ditaola, gore le seyeng natjo badimong”. There’s a lot to teach my unborn children, and cussing is certainly not on the list, not in my house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment