Wednesday 9 October 2013

Diaries of a Bothered bunch

By Malebo Gololo

My grandfather always told me that if there are things that bother me in society, therein lies a part of my calling.  My grandfather was a really smart and wise man and I miss him so much especially when I get stuck and my logic fails me.  I recently posed a question on my Facebook account about what bothers people- if my grandfather's statement is anything to go by, then I know we have a huge task ahead of us as a society
 So many things bother us but what are we to do about them?

People who like to romanticise life always say that one shouldn't complain; well, I support that school of thought, but I also feel complaining has its own space, the only issue I have is if one complains without intent to do something about that which one complains about.  Below is a few thought patters of what some people are bothered about:

What bothers me

*Seeing people living as slaves
*Racial/tribal/class supremacy
*Lack of education (formal/informal)
*Lack of mentorship
*Lack of attention as far as male teens are concerned
*People allowing their emotional distresses to occupy their lives
*People who behave line enos - one day ok, the next day down...


What bothers a Young Lady in her late 20's working in the corporate sector

"I  am really bothered by people who cant get round to living their lives, they spend all their time obsessing and talking about other people while life passes them by."

"I am bothered by the crappy service i get from waiters in restaurants or how the office maid wont clean my trash out or make my bed but she does it without complaining when its a white person living there and she gets paid the same at the end of the day. 

I am bothered by the fact that i have to work twice as hard to prove myself, just because i am a black woman, i can do the same amount of work as any white counterpart but they  have double the expense budget i have and its documented in HR policy."

"I am bothered that many black people who become successful after climbing the corporate ladder burn it behind them that others will not be able to reach where they are. They do not open the door or create opportunities for others to also make it, in my previous job my biggest persecutor was a black man who couldn't not stand my success and to see anyone come close to achieving what he had achieved, sad really. A black person does not want the success of another black person, why cant we uplift each other instead, support each other, surely we can achieve more that way even if it means someone will shine brighter than you, the common good is that as a collective we will move forward."

What bothers a Young Lady in her early 30's working in a male dominated industry

Over and above the stuff that bothers you Malebo, I'm also bothered by a black six year old who can't speak their mother tongue and the same parent is fascinated by a white two year old boy who can sing a national anthem. It bothers me that this little white boy, a south Afrikan, is being praised for knowing the words to HIS national anthem. He IS South Afrikan isn't he? Unless he's German or any other nationality, born and raised I honestly don't see what the spectacle is all about. 
 
I'm also bothered by a supremacist who seem to feel that black women in maritime are going to degrade their mariner's licenses as though they were worth sh*t in the first place. 

 
I'm bothered by a black car park attendant who won't help me, a black woman, carry my grocery bags to my car but expects my change for tip, and he does it for a white man. 

 
But most of all, I'm bothered by men with long finger nails, and long pinky nails (I'm going to throw up now)


What bothers a Young Lady in her mid 20's in Academia

 1. I am bothered by young people in the rural areas/townships, how they are being systematically starved of knowledge. I dunno where I would be if I hadn't grown around informative people who planted a seed of consuming knowledge that edifies me and opens my eyes to the world around me so that I can dream bigger. and it breaks my heart that the young people back home, are starved of that and so they don't dream bigger than the little that they know.

2. It breaks my heart that the definition of success, is settling down in cities. The standard of success is having the things white people have, So we leave our homes, townships and rural areas for the successful life in sandton and all the posh sandton facilities. Why is our success not manifesting where we come from? why is it that the more of us succeed and move to 'sandton', our townships and rural areas become more debilitated? our schools are drained of the best teachers who also want the successful life in JHB , the best public servants would rather serve in JHB than back home because their success would best be reflected by where they live and hang out..sandton etc . I've made a decision, I'm going back home soon....

3. I am bothered by the struggles of women at home , in relationships, raising children in this society where most men don't bring the bacon but bring negative and hostile environment that make it difficult and pain for women, and yet they must still do it, raise kids, be good wives, employees, girlfriends, ETC in spite of their brokenness MOSTLY in the hands of men who are supposed to be protectors and providers yet they do the extreme opposite....

4. I'm literally a heart broken person nje currently (via a relationship), heartbreaks suck yoh!! Being heart-sore is not child's play...so I must do SOMETHING about 1,2,3 because I can't live with this heartache forever....hard to ignore


What bothers a Young Lady in her early 20's currently studying and pursuing philanthropy

My heart aches, I cry @ times when I meet these insane homeless YOUNG stars. Going to register an NPO to just try do something hle Malebo. They don't give me peace.
Young modern women too (hence ycbw).


What bothers a Young Lady

Friends all you have mentioned above is heart breaking, and I think the most we have in common is the lack of education formal/informal.
 
1. What breaks my heart most is the lack of mentor ship from our black sisters and brothers you have made it in dif
ferent spheres of life, and won't share an hour a week or every blue week to help impart the young ones who are just as eagerly and hungry to make a difference.

 
2. My breaks my heart is when the wealthy "tenderprenues" throw lavish parties, inviting bo Rick Ross and Beyonce's to perform for them and top the event by "making it rain with R100 notes" to the less fortunate, after charging them tickets for their "birthday celebration"???

 
3. What breaks my heart is the great gap in education between the Model c schools and township schools, how the model c schools always in need of upgrades when township schools only get "upgrades" once a year, July to be specific and that is a new painted walls and a couple of planted seeds for trees.

 
4. What breaks my heart the most is the capitalization of the Gospel/ Christianity, how preachers sweat in the pulpit and then put a price tag on the "massage" by demanding expensive pledges like 10 people to give R100 000??? How the body of Christ is glued to the 4walls of a building/structure and not "going out, spreading the gospel, making disciples, loving the widowed and orphaned by feeding them instead of judging, condemning and being hypocrites


What bothers a Young Lady in education

I'm bothered by young girls who are busy making babies kodwa bebona ukuthi ikati lilele eziko
 
I'm bothered by a "friend" who won't support my business elok'shini but name drops when they go to the suburbs

 
I'm bothered by women who think it's their right to keep fathers away from their children just because of adult issues.

 
I'm just bothered by my fellow sisters and brothers who assume they don't have to pay for a service and l must just "understand".

 
I'm bothered by parents who subject their young girls to weaves, nail polish and high heels! Especially@nursery school.
 


We are a bothered bunch  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment