Sunday 13 October 2013

Tourist citizens

By Malebo Gololo

I am not one to harp on or rather show the "race" card as it has become a way of escapism for many people, but the reality is, right here in South Afrika, a country where racial reconciliation is supposed to be a model to the global community, a country where all races are supposed smile together and cry unity - we are more racially divided than we would like to admit and I was hit by this truth yesterday ( 12/10/2013).

I love participating in these leisure races organised by different brands.  Amongst my favourites is the Nike #werunJozi 10 km run held 12/10/2013.  What I have come to notice about these races is that they are supported by whites and one would swear that whites were in the majority if you were to go by these races.  I mean these runs are promoting health and fun times, we cannot say that this is a "white activity"; but the fact that we have a certain activity supported mostly by one racial group, really indicates how separated we are.  We are just in denial about it and it is this denial stage that will cause a serious erupt of emotions between the different race groups of South Afrika.

It reminds me of the international arrival terminal at the OR Thambo International Airport - you will think that this is a white state.  Every sunday, Afrikan people flock to different churches, some to all-Afrikan churches and a handful to white led churches (where the culture in the church is pretty much white) - there is one particular church that seems to have a balance of white and Afrikan individuals but is led by a white pastor, now I dare not ask if a Afrikan pastor would take over, if the white congregants would remain members?

We ran through Johannesburg CBD and for the greater part of the white participants, this was their first encounter with "town" and it felt as if they were tourists. I overheard some being in awe of how beautiful this city is and how they thought it would be dodgy; now I ask, what informed that pre-judgement? A specific incident was when we ran past Park Station, one gentleman asked "where is parkstation?" his friend responded "its on our left" and then in shock he responded: "Oh wow, I didn't expect it to be so clean and tidy" - I do not want to assume what he meant by that statement.  In one particular instance, some person said "ewwww this is so dodge" I just had to respond and said "now imagine living in such a dodge place", and my favourite was when a couple was running next to each other, the lady said with fear in her voice "honey, please run behind me, I don't feel safe" - I really had to contain myself and focus on my finish line.  I do not think me retaliating will solve the problem.  This post is to ask, what is the solution, why is that its the Afrikan majority who have to meet the white minority half way but they are not even willing to meet the Afrikans half way?  When will we realise that apartheid did more harm than we would like to acknowledge and "forgiveness" without dealing with the issue can only mean bad news.

No comments:

Post a Comment